Installing wordpress to a multiple website account
I used to have a couple of blogs, all of them hosted through separate accounts, and I found out that I was paying more than 150 dollars per account per year. And then I found out that upgrading just one account to a higher grade will allow me to host all my websites, therefore saving me more than 250 dollars a year.
I had a friend merge all websites into one account and I was happy.
Syntax Error Issues
But the happiness was a short lived one. A few months after I went through the consolidation, the problems started appearing – there were those scary “syntax error in line xxx” messages suddenly appearing. At times I could not even access my admin site to check the error codes or to delete the problematic plugins.
Eventually all the blogs were down.
Re-Installing Just One Site
One day I decided to redo just one of the websites as it was critical for my work. I was used to signing up for a domain and a hosting account and then creating the website, but creating multiple websites under one account on my own was new to me.
The first part was to create backup copies of the existing files including the database. Fortunately, it was a simple, one page website so I decided I don’t have to backup the files.
So I went to the next step: uninstalling the WordPress installation.
Under my account’s hosting services, the url of the main account was available and I accessed the cPanel management section through that.
From there, I chose Installatron Applications Installer which showed me the WordPress accounts I have already installed.
I uninstalled the said account.
Still on Installatron, I chose Applications Browser and chose WordPress.
Then I went to the section to reinstall the WordPress. This allowed me to set the user id, password, email etc.,
The important issue was to select the correct subfolder. As I was installing a blog under an existing but separate domain name, I had to create the subfolder with the correct name – the name of the blog.
Once this was done, I was able to use the url/wp-admin to access my blog account.
That was it. It took a few hours to get it done but so far so good.